About the Project
Wonthaggi has one of the fastest growing populations in regional Victoria, with a forecast rise of 33% by 2036 to nearly 18,000 residents.
Wonthaggi Opportunity Unlocked is designed to help meet the demands of growth by generating positive business investment, employment, inclusion and liveability outcomes of benefit to all community. By linking projects we can unlock Wonthaggi’s full potential as a Victorian regional centre and align with the objectives of key State and Federal planning strategies relating to regional regeneration, urban decentralisation, population growth, investment and visitor attraction.
Investment by all tiers of Government has seen funding for projects including the Wonthaggi Regional Hospital expansion, Wonthaggi Secondary College new Junior and Senior Campuses and the Country University Centre Bass Coast. Council seeks further investment in Wonthaggi.
Council continues to hold meetings with Federal and State Ministers, Shadow Ministers, candidates, and Advisors to raise awareness of the need to invest in Wonthaggi up to the upcoming elections this year.
Community and Council have been involved in ongoing dialogue and collaborative planning regarding the future of Wonthaggi for over a decade. Plans that have been developed of direct relevance to the Wonthaggi streetscape upgrades include;
- Wonthaggi Activity Centre Plan
- Wonthaggi North East Precinct Structure Plan 2020
- Wonthaggi Opportunity Unlocked 2020
- Apex Park Implementation Plan 2020
- Bass Coast Shire Council Open Space Plan 2018
- Help Shape a Better Bass Coast 2017
- Bass Coast Shire Council Playscape Strategy 2017
- Wonthaggi Placemaking Strategy 2018
- Bass Coast Shire Council Aspirational Network Pathways Plan 2016
- Future Wonthaggi Community Representative Report 2016
- Bass Coast Shire Council Wonthaggi CBD Car Parking survey 2016
- Future Wonthaggi – Mosaic Lab Community Engagement 2016
- Project Plan for Wonthaggi Town Centre ‘Heart’ 2014
Recommendations and initiatives from the Activity Centre Plan are also informed by Plan Melbourne 2017-2050 and Gippsland Regional Growth Plan 2014.
Community benefits of the projects include;
- Facilitate the development of 450 hectares of residential land allowing 4,400 residential plots
- Facilitate 70 hectares of commercial land creating 2940 jobs over the life of the plan
- Provide better and more appealing liveability infrastructure to attract population growth and business investment in the region
- Assist in the necessary development of a vital regional centre that provides essential services for the surrounding region
- Improve health and wellbeing outcomes through the development of the aquatic centre and the sporting hub. Insufficient physical activity is one of the leading risk factors for death worldwide.
Project costs are indicative at this stage as further planning is undertaken on the majority of these projects. Click through to individual project pages to learn more about individual project costs and funding opportunities.
In 2021, Council received $2 million in funding from the Regional Infrastructure Fund towards Wonthaggi Streetscapes. These works are part of the Wonthaggi Activity Centre Plan and construction has commenced.