About the Project
We wish to advise that Bass Coast Shire Council have teamed up with Better Boating Victoria to undertake the redevelopment of the Rhyll Boating Facility. There will be major upgrades made to the boat launching facilities, car parking and pontoons. These works are funded by Better Boating Victoria and are being delivered by Council through the Capital Works Program.
The aim of this project is to improve access and safety, and to upgrade the Rhyll Boating Facility for the community. These works will give the community and residents access to improved facilities at the boat ramp in Rhyll.
28 March 2022
All of the Seawall Piles and 24 of the Jetty Piles have been
installed. A further 4 Jetty Piles are to be installed during May 2022 using a
Barge Pile Driver.
This boating facility needs rehabilitation and upgrade to provide a vital recreational facility for the Rhyll community and summer season visitors to Phillip Island. The project will also include the construction of two new jetties with two new pontoons, further increasing the ramp’s capacity. The seawall is failing and is in urgent need of repair. The car park will be upgraded, to improve traffic flow. The project will improve access and safety for the boating community and support the businesses, community groups and social benefits associated with recreational boating.
The total project cost is over $5 million. The majority of funds have been provided from the State Government’s $47.2 million investment to make recreational boating better in Victoria. This program invests in improving and upgrading boat launching facilities across Victoria to improve safety, accessibility, capacity and functionality.
The project will include but is not limited to:
- Replacement of the existing three-lane boat ramp with three new lanes extended further into Western Port, to permit all-tide launch and retrieval operation
- Two new fixed jetties to replace the existing jetty, new fish cleaning tables and two new larger floating pontoons to replace the existing pontoon
- Reconstruction of the existing car park to provide 40 larger car/trailer unit spaces, with improved traffic management and improved public lighting
- Partial replacement of the masonry seawall with a new seawall and pedestrian pathway along the eastern edge of the car park
- New dedicated kayak/yacht/canoe facility for non-powered craft
- Landscape planting.
This project is funded by the State Government through Better Boating Victoria (BBV) and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP). Council has been providing project management services since its inception through concept planning and development of construction plans. Council will continue to led the delivery of the construction program until the completion of this project.
Council has appointed Simpson Construction Co Pty Ltd to upgrade the car park, seawall, boat ramp lanes, jetties and pontoon works in Beach Road Rhyll, as part of Council’s adopted Capital Works Program.